Perhaps the most common statement I hear from my husband is that I am addicted to work. A day without the question “Are you busy?” seldom happens even when we are both at work. He can still manage to ask that same question even electronically. So why is it that my husband sees me as a person who lives to work?
Perhaps I think because I am willing to work straight 24 hours when necessary. Or even at home I read articles for work. I often seek for everything that would mean learning, a line up of information that would charge up my brain cells, an act that would recharge a bit of me and would help me gain insights on how to manage and perform my work better. My husband said, everything I do is connected to my being workaholic.
All of a sudden, it dawned on me! While waiting for my mails to upload in my gadget, I continued reading John Maxwell’s book on Laws of Leadership over a cup of coffee. My husband returned with my daughter in tow, after checking the newly renovated Gamezone. He sat in front of me and asked if I was busy. I closed the book, handed him the tablet and answered “No, Why?” Right after that rhetorical question I realized that I am not busy, I am not workaholic, and here is why:
1. I only seek things to do because I hate being idle. I bring books to the toilet because the thought of sitting around waiting for something to go down bores the hell out of me.
2. I do not like my mind to just wander off, i am conscious of my productivity as a person.
3. As much as possible I discourage my brain to look back on awful histories, a past that is neither good nor worth cherishing for.
4. Deciding to live by the rules of today will be as much difficult when I let myself be the prisoner of the bad lessons of the past. Just give it a brush to the cheeks, kissing it would mean your efforts to be happy futile.
5. I do not live by the concept of Silence as a means to find peace. I am not used to it and do not know how to embrace it.
So there…I hope that justifies my means to be understood as to why I can’t live without something to read and why my eyes keeps on deteriorating everyday.